Thoughts, musings, and observations from the Pens’ 4-2 earn versus the Lightning at PPG Paints Arena.
* Soon after a lackluster effort in their 6-3 loss to New Jersey on Monday, the gamers received with each other after their team meeting on Tuesday. They preferred to make certain all people recognized the importance of bringing their most effective each individual one evening, no matter of their opponent’s rank in the standings.
“Each individual time you have a efficiency like that you want to make certain your team responds the ideal way,” Kris Letang claimed. “Soon after a ordinary loss I don’t consider we have a meeting, but after a loss that crucial versus a team which is reduce in the standings, we needed to remedy and I consider it was to make certain all people was ready to go.”
And they most definitely were. The Pens played with a competitive spirit that was lacking on Monday, outworking their opponent in what was over-all a fairly dominant efficiency.
“As a team we all confirmed up,” Letang claimed. “We were definitely invested ideal from the get-go.”
* That was exemplified by Evgeni Malkin. It has been a disheartening stretch for the Penguins middle, who has been candid about having a disaster of confidence – even experimenting with diverse skates, sticks and gloves to attempt and break out of his slump. Although he understood the gear wasn’t the challenge – as he place it, “The challenge is only in my head.”
It seems that he is figuring it out, as Malkin seemed like himself for the to start with time in a extensive time. He had some dominant stretches and concluded with two assists – the to start with currently being the 600th of his career – but more importantly, he played with an energy and a enthusiasm that has been lacking from his sport. He was as invested as we’ve noticed him, even dropping the gloves with Steven Stamkos and earning a fighting significant in the 3rd period.
“That’s Geno’s most effective sport in a although,” Pens head coach Mike Sullivan claimed. “He was on the puck. You recognized him. He was a existence each individual shift. When he is engaged like that emotionally, I consider which is when he is at his most effective.”
* Sullivan has been chatting a good deal recently about his team’s identification and how it really is even now a operate in progress. He has preached about how it can take more to earn than just currently being a terrific offensive team, and that they are not able to score their way to championships.
This sport was a big move in the ideal path in terms of playing the ideal way and developing that identification. The Pens confirmed that offensive firepower by scoring a few situations on their to start with 5 pictures although doing a good task of defending.
And although they were outshot 16-5 in the opening body, the gamers felt the shot clock wasn’t always indicative of the likelihood versus. Overall, they minimal the Lightning’s options and were ready to break out of their conclude quickly and get up the ice.
* The NHL strategies to deploy a Puck and Participant Tracking method for video games up coming time. It’s too undesirable they did not have that technology for tonight for a shift by Phil Kessel for the duration of 4-on-4 enjoy in the 2nd period. Kessel was skating in circles throughout all a few zones in advance of turning up the ice and at last offering the puck up to Letang. The defenseman converted the feed for his 108th career objective, tying the franchise file set by Paul Coffey.
“It’s fairly surreal,” Letang claimed. “Expanding up, viewing him, by no means believed I would have my title up coming to his. However surreal.”
* With Derick Brassard out with an higher-overall body harm, Teddy Blueger made his NHL debut centering Riley Sheahan and Garrett Wilson. His to start with shift was a results, earning a moreover-1 as his linemates linked for the game’s opening objective.
“It was definitely a golden to start with shift,” Blueger claimed. “It was a good start off there and I felt like we just received on the ice and scored, that was awesome to be a section of for certain.”